We aspire to be a national professional association of practitioners in the field of therapeutic recreation.
The Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association is a national association of practitioners in the field of Therapeutic Recreation – Incorporated in 1996. The Mission of the Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association is to advocate for the Therapeutic Recreation Profession and our Membership by:
- Promoting and facilitating communication between and among members in Therapeutic Recreation.
- Developing and implementing a plan which will lead to national certification of Therapeutic Recreation practitioners.
- Promoting and advancing public awareness and understanding of Therapeutic Recreation.
- Developing and promoting the adoption and implementation of Professional Standards for the delivery of Therapeutic Recreation Services.
- Supporting excellence and advancement in Education and Research in Therapeutic Recreation.
Therapeutic Recreation is a profession which recognizes leisure, recreation and play as integral components of quality of life. Service is provided to individuals who have physical, mental, social or emotional limitations which impact their ability to engage in meaningful leisure experiences.
Therapeutic Recreation is directed toward functional interventions, leisure education and participation opportunities. These processes support the goal of assisting the individual to maximize the independence in leisure, optimal health and the highest possible quality of life.